MobileBytes POS versions 3.12 and 3.13 are now available on the App Store. These versions are compatible with MobileBytes POS versions greater than 3.0 and can be installed at any time. They contain the following features:Read More >
If you accept credit cards in your business and want to avoid charge backs and/or reduce credit card fraud, we strongly encourage you to read this article from TSYS, one of our favorite preferred credit card processors:
See the list of the questions about charge backs answered in this article:Read More >
Update from one of our major paper suppliers:
January 5, 2018 – Thermal paper supply continues to be allocated by the mills due to the on-going leuco dye shortage. Mills continue to search for alternative sources of supply to meet customer demand. These sources often come at a price premium driving up prices for thermal paper. A thermal paper surcharge was just passed to the market and will be in effect at least through the first quarter of 2018.Read More >
Did you know that MobileBytes offers our restaurants marketing services at or near cost? You can get gift cards, swipe cards, table tents, promo cards and posters - advertise and promote your gift cards, loyalty programs, your online ordering site, Skip the Line, Scan to Pay - and other awesome guest engagement programs. They will even assist you with the design work!Read More >
So the good news first - the pricing of bond paper (non-thermal paper often used in kitchen printers) has gone down, and we have lowered our prices accordingly. We like lowering our costs, and passing the savings on to our customers!
And now, for the not so great news from the thermal paper industry:
MB POS 3.11 is now available for download on the App Store. Any merchants currently running iOS 11.2 should update to this version. Additionally any merchants planning to update to iOS version 11.2 should be sure to update to MB POS version 3.11 prior to performing the iOS update.
This is critical, as there is an issue with iOS 11.2 and the POS won't run.
Like most businesses, we are constantly looking for ways to improve. We have a flyer we have pinned up on the walls here that lists some of the key points we are looking to focus on for the year and one of these is: “Better communications with our customers.”
As a technology provider, our phones are our life line to just about everything we do, whether it be assisting customers, working with vendors or communicating internally. We decided that it was time to invest in a new phone system, and we reached out to GCI for assistance in getting there.
Starting this month, our new CISCO 8800 series IP phones will be changing the way you hear from us. This new system features:Read More >
Know which customer is calling before you even pick up the phone!
With MobileBytes, when a call comes in, your POS device will automatically pull up the customer profile associated with the phone number.
With Caller ID, connect your phone system to MobileBytes Point of Sale’s customer database to know who is calling your restaurant to place an order. When a call comes in, your POS device will automatically pull up the customer profile associated with the phone number. Save time by quickly choosing items from the customer’s order history and using saved address information for deliveries.Read More >
Daylight Savings Time ends Sunday, November 5th. Don't forget to set your clocks back so that you can get that extra hour of sleep!Read More >
If you don't use the MobileBytes POS CHIP readers and/or if you use the MobileBytes Online Ordering System, BridgePay, your credit card gateway, will be down for maintenance for about 15 minutes on Monday, October 30, 2017 starting around 11:00 p.m. (Though they have scheduled the entire maintenance period from 11:00 p.m. - 11:30 p.m.)
Please note - for point of sale transactions within your restaurant, if you have "allow offline transactions" turned on, you will still be able to run credit card transactions - they just won't authorize until the gateway comes back up.
For more information, please contact support at 907-243-2683.
Read the entire notice below:Read More >
I just read an article by Linda Kirkpatrick - Executive Vice President, U.S. Market Development at Mastercard - "No More Signing on the Dotted Line".According to the article, Mastercard will no longer re quire signatures at checkout for any credit or debit purchases in Canada and the U.S. starting April 2018. Right now the card brands (VISA, Mastercard , Discover, American Express) have thresholds for transactions that don't require a signature, typically $50. But starting next April, Mastercard won't require a signature for any retail transactions at checkout. I imagine that the other card brands will follow suit at some point.
"As of today, 31% of our installed iPads are running iOS 11. We are aware of a very rare 'edge case' crash when running MB POS with iOS 11 and are working on a patch for a future release.
Keep in mind there is no benefit to merchants for running iOS 11 vs iOS 10. Resellers should not feel compelled to upgrade existing iPads to iOS 11. Newly purchased iPads that come pre-installed are fine to run in sites where iOS 10 is installed on other iPads. "
Read the original article below:
Data breach - those two words can (and should) scare the heck out of business owners. It is everywhere in the news. I think on some level, people are just throwing their hands up in the air at this point. However, we don't want our customers to go through this experience - no one wants the CIA showing up at their back door or having their funds frozen because of a suspected breach.
To help you understand the impacts, we wanted to share this article by Justin Zeigler, the director of product development and marketing at Datacap Systems. (Datacap Systems develops integrated payment interfaces for any type Point of Sale Application - so they are very in tune with security for point of sale systems.) In this article, he discusses:
- What Is a Data Breach and How Do They Most Commonly Occur?
- What Can You Expect When a Breach Occurs? What Are the Steps?
- Who Is Liable?
- Best Practices to Prevent Breaches and Mitigate Liability
- Using a QIR (Qualified Integrators and Resellers) Certified Reseller
As a business owner, it is vital to understand the effects of a breach on your business, your customers and your employees.
Read this eye opening article below:Read More >
You know you need to implement a loyalty program in your restaurant - but never got around to it for many reasons - not enough time, where do I begin, how do I market it, etc.
Research shows that consumers want and will use loyalty programs - and if done right, a loyalty program will bring your customer back to your restaurant.
Programs needs to be easy to use and engage your customer. No one wants to carry around a plastic card anymore. And to be honest, no one really wants to spend the time to give their server or cashier their information to enter their loyalty points.
So this is why I think the MobileBytes Loyalty Program is genius - it's called Scan for Points - customers simply scan the receipt with their phones. Boom! Points collected. And the program is free - yes, free - included with your MobileBytes system.
Read More >
Our world is changing, quicker than some of us would like and for others, not quick enough. All this change affects restaurants and retail like no other because your customers are on the forefront of these changes. As your trusted Point of Sale (POS) provider, we find ourselves changing too. We can’t just be a company that provides for you today, we also have to be able to provide for your future. To help us do this, Skurla’s has been a member of RSPA (Retail Solutions Providers Association) for the better part of 40 years. RSPA isn’t just for retail though. At its heart are hundreds of POS providers and vendors, working together for a common cause: to help you.
Every year, RSPA members, vendors and partners meet at an event called RetailNOW. I was fortunate to be able to attend and see what the future holds for restaurants and retail. There were too many things to cover here but there were a few that stood out as key areas for merchants to take note of.
Customer engagement was one of the most popular areas that other POS dealers such as us were interested in. A lot of this revolved around things like customer loyalty, data analytics (using it) and mobility. These three things are fast becoming inseparable to the modern merchant. They don’t have to exist together but when they do, it’s a big win for the customer and the merchant.
- Customer loyalty is a system that rewards the customer for coming back to a merchant and giving them repeat business. It’s usually offered up in the way of points that are redeemed for good and/or services. The big change here is making it as easy as possible for not only the customers to participate but having the merchants staff understand the process and help the customers engage. Your staff are the “face” of the business and if they are engaged in the process, they will sell it like no other. But to make it easy, you need to make another change: mobility.
- Mobility is a two-way street and your customers are already experts. If you don’t have the right mobility options to engage them, you’re falling behind. New POS options have beacon technology, which enable merchants to know who is in the store or if they are close. Utilizing this, smart merchants can know what a particular customer likes and market or sell to them direct and the customer will cheer you on for it! But in-depth knowledge of your customer preferences takes more than just data.
- Data analytics isn’t enough – utilizing it is key. There are plenty of companies out there who will gather data for you but what do you do with it? Using that data in a meaningful way is the third piece of customer engagement. Have you ever been to a store or restaurant and filled out a comment card and never received a follow up call or email? Or maybe not seen the changes that you would have expected? Sadly, customers see this all too often and the result is that they don’t patronize that merchant again or are dissatisfied and share their experiences with other potential or existing customers. Having tools and systems in place to act on your data will help you better serve your customers and turn them into raving fans.
We are excited to announce that the new MobileBytes Ingredients Used Report is available on the admin portal. Merchants can now view the ingredients and quantities used on any given day or range of days dating back to August 1st, 2017.Read More >
Introducing Scan-to-Pay, Mobile Payment for Table Service Restaurants
MobileBytes is launching a new mobile payment option for table service restaurants called Scan-to-Pay.
Imagine with me for a moment that you arrive at a restaurant with your phone in your pocket. iBeacon technology alerts the POS system that you’ve arrived and displays your guest information to the restaurant host.
The host taps your picture when you walk in the door and adds you to the waitlist with the touch of a button. Instead of being handed a large pager, you’re greeted by name and told your table will be ready shortly.
Without having to give the restaurant your phone number, you receive a text message when your table is ready. When the server comes to your table, they know your name, and your previous order history. “Would you like the Santa Fe Burger with no onions again today, or are you in the mood for something new?”
With the touch of a button, your favorite menu items are added to the check and customized just the way you like them.
Finally, when your server drops off your check, you don’t have to hand over your credit card or wait to pay your bill. You simply use your phone to scan the QR code printed on the bottom of your meal ticket, enter the amount you want to tip and pay the bill through your phone. The entire payment process takes less than 10-seconds and you are on your way out the door to enjoy the rest of your day.
This is not a futuristic restaurant experience. It’s Scan-to-Pay and it’s available to implement at your restaurant today.
Scan-to-Pay is designed to help your restaurant turn tables faster while providing an improved and personalized customer experience.
At participating restaurants, Scan-to-Pay is even able to connect with your MobileBytes loyalty program. This gives guests the opportunity to automatically earn rewards after enough points have been accrued without having to enter separate information.
Once the guest has paid, the restaurant and server are immediately notified through their MobileBytes POS system.
Scan-to-Pay does not store your customer’s credit card data. Instead, encrypted tokens are used to make guests’ card data secure. This allows a guest to reuse their credit card for future transactions without needing to re-enter their card number.
The best part about Scan-to-Pay? It is included in MobileBytes powerful suite of features at no additional cost. Which means restaurants receive all of the benefits of mobile payment without the added cost of a third party mobile payments provider.
Say goodbye to long lines at counter service restaurants. Skip-the-Line provides Mobile Ordering and Payment for Counter Service Restaurants and other venues -
MobileBytes is introducing a second mobile payment option to its suite of features. Skip-the-Line is designed specifically for counter service restaurants with a goal of helping restaurant owners and their customers reduce wait times.Read More >
We are excited to announce an audit trail for time punch edits now available on the MobileBytes Admin website! Account users can access the time punches list and see any time a punch has been edited from its original version, including who edited it, what the changes were, and what date/time the edits happened.Read More >
Big shout out to the MobileBytes team! Every year the Retail Solutions Providers Association presents awards to outstanding companies in the Point of Sale industry. Today, MobileBytes was presented with an Award of Excellence for Software! We are proud to be a partner with this team!Read More >
In some businesses, credit sales account for over 80% of their daily sales. If this is your business, you are depositing very little cash every day. And while most of us count for and reconcile the cash, are you reconciling your daily credit card deposit to the credit card batches that actually go into the bank? It seems easy and automatic, but here are a few tips and tricks we have learned over the last couple of decades installing integrated credit card systems.Read More >
We are excited to announce that the enhanced multi-concept account updates are now available on the MobileBytes admin website. These changes were made to allow multi-unit, multi-concept account operators to manage their different concepts and different menus more efficiently.
For full information on the updates, please read below:Read More >
Our office will be closed on Tuesday, July 4th in honor of Independence Day
A reduced staff will be working remotely/on call to handle the needs of our customers on Monday, July 3rd.
However, we understand the importance of customer service and issues that may arise during this busy retail holiday.
If you have an emergency, please call us at 243-2683 and follow the prompts to page our after hours technician. For support hours and information, click here.
Have a safe and Happy 4th of July. From the team at Skurla's!
Read More >
We are excited to announce the following improvements to the MobileBytes Payroll Summary Report. These changes are available immediately.Read More >
Using and Understanding the new Advanced Check Splitting feature MobileBytes (Please note this feature is only supported in MB POS version 3.0 and above):
Advanced Check Splitting
- Advanced Split Option - New option under the order entry split screen allows splitting items into uneven fractions. Items can be split among any number of splits in 1/3s, 1/4s, 1/5s, and so on, so one check may have ⅕ and another two checks may each have ⅖. Watch.
- Move/Unsplit To - The default option allows the user to rapidly move items between splits without needing to first split the item. It is also a quick way to undo split items by Unsplitting them to a single check. Watch. The existing even split functionality is moved under the ‘Evenly’ option. Watch.
- ‘All’ button - The All split tab is now pinned so that the user can always get quick access to the high-level main check without needing to scroll.
- Splitting from the All Check - All of the new advanced splitting and item moving can be done from the All check, without needing to navigate to each split first. Many add/new split functions automatically put you on the All check and on the Split screen.
- Split Navigation - Users can now select each of the Check headers on the All check itself which links immediately to the selected check.
- Split Statuses - Once any of the checks are paid, all of the check tabs and check headers on the All check begin reflecting their Paid/Unpaid status to help the user find ones that still need payment and ignore the others. Paid checks are also moved to the end of the list to help this process. Watch.
Read More >
Using and Understanding the new SubItem Flow in MobileBytes (Please note this feature is only supported in MB POS version 3.0 and above):
New Subitem Flow
- Each selected subitem on the modifiers page will now have its own corresponding tab at the top. This allows fast access to each subitem’s modifiers, eliminating scrolling for most items and separating their specific ingredients from the main item. When a subitem is selected, if it has required modifiers then it will be automatically navigated to show the user and allow for quicker access. Subitems also have their own distinct special instructions fields for more detailed order descriptions to the kitchen.
Read More >