It is that time of year again already - Oracle is sending out the renewal notices for their Support Services. You should be seeing a copy of your renewal contract from us by the end of this month. Deadline for payment/renewal is December 15th. Below is information we sent out last year for information on the Oracle Support Services program:Read More >
Data breach - those two words can (and should) scare the heck out of business owners. It is everywhere in the news. I think on some level, people are just throwing their hands up in the air at this point. However, we don't want our customers to go through this experience - no one wants the CIA showing up at their back door or having their funds frozen because of a suspected breach.
To help you understand the impacts, we wanted to share this article by Justin Zeigler, the director of product development and marketing at Datacap Systems. (Datacap Systems develops integrated payment interfaces for any type Point of Sale Application - so they are very in tune with security for point of sale systems.) In this article, he discusses:
- What Is a Data Breach and How Do They Most Commonly Occur?
- What Can You Expect When a Breach Occurs? What Are the Steps?
- Who Is Liable?
- Best Practices to Prevent Breaches and Mitigate Liability
- Using a QIR (Qualified Integrators and Resellers) Certified Reseller
As a business owner, it is vital to understand the effects of a breach on your business, your customers and your employees.
Read this eye opening article below:Read More >
Our world is changing, quicker than some of us would like and for others, not quick enough. All this change affects restaurants and retail like no other because your customers are on the forefront of these changes. As your trusted Point of Sale (POS) provider, we find ourselves changing too. We can’t just be a company that provides for you today, we also have to be able to provide for your future. To help us do this, Skurla’s has been a member of RSPA (Retail Solutions Providers Association) for the better part of 40 years. RSPA isn’t just for retail though. At its heart are hundreds of POS providers and vendors, working together for a common cause: to help you.
Every year, RSPA members, vendors and partners meet at an event called RetailNOW. I was fortunate to be able to attend and see what the future holds for restaurants and retail. There were too many things to cover here but there were a few that stood out as key areas for merchants to take note of.
Customer engagement was one of the most popular areas that other POS dealers such as us were interested in. A lot of this revolved around things like customer loyalty, data analytics (using it) and mobility. These three things are fast becoming inseparable to the modern merchant. They don’t have to exist together but when they do, it’s a big win for the customer and the merchant.
- Customer loyalty is a system that rewards the customer for coming back to a merchant and giving them repeat business. It’s usually offered up in the way of points that are redeemed for good and/or services. The big change here is making it as easy as possible for not only the customers to participate but having the merchants staff understand the process and help the customers engage. Your staff are the “face” of the business and if they are engaged in the process, they will sell it like no other. But to make it easy, you need to make another change: mobility.
- Mobility is a two-way street and your customers are already experts. If you don’t have the right mobility options to engage them, you’re falling behind. New POS options have beacon technology, which enable merchants to know who is in the store or if they are close. Utilizing this, smart merchants can know what a particular customer likes and market or sell to them direct and the customer will cheer you on for it! But in-depth knowledge of your customer preferences takes more than just data.
- Data analytics isn’t enough – utilizing it is key. There are plenty of companies out there who will gather data for you but what do you do with it? Using that data in a meaningful way is the third piece of customer engagement. Have you ever been to a store or restaurant and filled out a comment card and never received a follow up call or email? Or maybe not seen the changes that you would have expected? Sadly, customers see this all too often and the result is that they don’t patronize that merchant again or are dissatisfied and share their experiences with other potential or existing customers. Having tools and systems in place to act on your data will help you better serve your customers and turn them into raving fans.
Summer may have come and gone but mobility and tablets are still hot. Having the ability to interface with your customers when and where you need to is what customers expect now. MICROS has had limited options with tablets but now Skurla’s is proud to announce a new third party option for MICROS 3700 (RES): the Touch Dynamic Quest II Tablet.Read More >
In some businesses, credit sales account for over 80% of their daily sales. If this is your business, you are depositing very little cash every day. And while most of us count for and reconcile the cash, are you reconciling your daily credit card deposit to the credit card batches that actually go into the bank? It seems easy and automatic, but here are a few tips and tricks we have learned over the last couple of decades installing integrated credit card systems.Read More >
Our office will be closed on Tuesday, July 4th in honor of Independence Day
A reduced staff will be working remotely/on call to handle the needs of our customers on Monday, July 3rd.
However, we understand the importance of customer service and issues that may arise during this busy retail holiday.
If you have an emergency, please call us at 243-2683 and follow the prompts to page our after hours technician. For support hours and information, click here.
Have a safe and Happy 4th of July. From the team at Skurla's!
Read More >